The churchyard at St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, Fogo. was in use as a burial ground from at least the 1760s and into the first half of the twentieth century.
One who lies here is Henry Waterman, assistant keeper of the Offer Wadham Island Lighthouse. The Wadham Islands are a group of islands southeast of Fogo Island; Offer Wadham Island is the most northeasterly.
The lighthouse was built following many petitions to government, especially after the "Spring of the Wadhams" in 1852, when more than 40 ships were crushed and abandoned in the ice near Offer Wadham Island.
Unfortunately, Henry Waterman "came to an untimely end in the spring [of 1880] by falling through the ice, thus removing from service an officer who had always conducted himself worthily."
Post a Comment